Some may be familiar already. Some are newer. Some are old favorites. What they all have in common is that they’re nonfiction books that I’ve really enjoyed, and often recommend.
I hope you’ll find some new ideas, or are motivated to push some books higher up your “to be read” list.
I also hope you’ll share some of your favorite nonfiction books, especially ones that aren’t as well know.
Please join me beginning October 1, and every day during October I’ll be posting about a new nonfiction book that I love and recommend!
I’ll update this page to include all the posts I’ve written.
If this sounds good to you, you can subscribe and not miss a post:
You can also subscribe via email.
- A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel
- It’s Not About the Tapas: A Spanish Adventure on Two Wheels by Polly Evans
- I Have Lived A Thousand Years: Growing Up In The Holocaust by Livia Bitton-Jackson
- 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff
- The Road from Coorain by Jill Ker Conway
- Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time by Brian Tracy
- We Die Alone: A WWII Epic of Escape and Endurance by David Howarth
- My Heart’s in the Lowlands: Ten Days in Bonny Scotland by Liz Curtis Higgs
- Heat: An Amateur’s Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany by Bill Buford
- Once Upon a Town: The Miracle of the North Platte Canteen by Bob Greene
- Hot Lights, Cold Steel: Life, Death and Sleepless Nights in a Surgeon’s First Years by Michael Collins
- The Making of a Chef: Mastering Heat at the Culinary Institute of America by Michael Ruhlman
- Confessions of a Tax Collector: One Man’s Tour of Duty Inside the IRS by Richard Yancey
- A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson
- Eleanor of Aquitaine: A Life by Alison Weir
- Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- The Endless Steppe: Growing Up in Siberia by Esther Hautzig
- The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Food by Jennifer 8 Lee
- The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears in Paris at the World’s Most Famous Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn
- Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
- An Innocent, a Broad by Ann Leary
- Two for the Road: Our Love Affair With American Food by Jane and Michael Stern
- Me, Myself, and Bob: A True Story About Dreams, God, and Talking Vegetables by Phil Vischer
- We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Nurses Trapped on Bataan by the Japanese by Elizabeth M. Norman
- A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg
- The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell
- Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife by Peggy Vincent
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
- Ambulance Girl: How I Saved Myself By Becoming an EMT by Jane Stern
- The Ice Master: The Doomed 1913 Voyage of the Karluk by Jennifer Niven
- Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise by Ruth Reichl