There was no way it could last, but after a string of great months, August brought me back down to reality. Honestly? It kind of stunk. I did get a lot of reading done, but from a life perspective? Goodbye August I won’t miss you.
The Month in Stats
Books Read Last Month: 28
Books Read For The Year: 171
Best Things I Read
- The Indifferent Stars Above: The Harrowing Saga of a Donner Party Bride. So awful (the story), and so good (the book).
- Fit to Burst : Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood (love her books).
- A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet: Southern Stories of Faith, Family, and Fifteen Pounds of Bacon (fun stories)
- The Spirit Thief / The Spirit Rebellion / The Spirit Eater. (First three books in the Eli Monpress series.
Things That Happened
- My husband hurt his back. He’s had a bad back for years, but he messed himself up pretty severely mid-month. It’s awful seeing him in so much pain, and it’s also awful having to deal with the ramifications of it.
- My son got sick. Like, puking-in-the-middle-of-the-night-sick (two nights in a row even). I … do not deal well with vomit. Usually vomit is 100% my husband’s parenting responsibility. Except when his back prevents him from dealing with the fallout. So thankful that the sheets weren’t any worse than they were, or the floor, or anything else.
- My kids had their first play date, of sorts. At least their first non-family-member play date. It was semi-successful in that they liked seeing new toys. And they didn’t act like complete hooligans, so I guess I should call it a success.
Best Things I Did or Saw
- One evening right after my husband hurt his back, when the kiddos had been super energetic all day (i.e., all but climbing the walls), I took them to the splash park after dinner. There weren’t many other people there, so it was easy to watch them, and it filled in the time until bedtime quite nicely.
- My mother-in-law was here for about 48 hours at the beginning of the month. Just enough time for me to get to a doctor’s appointment without having to juggle childcare arrangements with my husband. It made for a very relaxing appointment for me. Plus, you know, the kids are always thrilled to see her.
- As little as possible. It’s been hot. So so hot.
- I’ve got a new cookbook, and so far I’ve made two recipes from it. One of them (grilled steak tips) my husband and I both loved. Loved, loved loved. The other one (chicken BLT salad) my husband thought was fabulous, and I thought it was pretty good. So, two-for-two from this book. Hooray!
What I’m Anticipating in September
- A visit with my family. It’s been about 18 months since I’ve seen my parents, other than a few hours last December when I drove 100 miles to see my dad after a meeting he was attending. That was a super strange visit though (it was the same day my older brother died. I got the call that it was going to be at any moment, and told my mom not to call me when he passed. I was leaving and did NOT want that call while driving. As I parked the van, I called her back and found out that he had died right as I’d left my house.)
- I think my inlaws will be here briefly, picking up a new fifth wheel that they’re buying. Apparently they’re saving enough money by buying it here that it’s worth the drive they’ll have to make.
- Book club! We’re reading one of my absolute favorite books from this year (Bread & Wine), and we’re fixing dishes from that book. Can’t wait to taste the dishes, and to talk about the book.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting The Deliberate Reader!