Interested in joining in with us for the Reading Together: A Family Exploration Book Club? Our theme for May and June is Iran, and you’ve still got time to find the books and join our new co-host Katie from Cakes, Tea, and Dreams for the discussion.
What are the three books we’ve selected? The picture book is Forty Fortunes by Aaron Shepard, illustrated by Alisher Dianov. (Can’t find it? I’ll list some other suggestions below). The elementary grade book to be discussed in May is Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher, and the middle grade / teen book for June is Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi.
Want some additional picture book options?
If your kids are anything like mine, you can run through a half dozen picture books in a day, and they like nothing more than doing just that. In case you can’t easily locate Forty Fortunes, or if you just want more options, here are some more possibilities. Asterisks (*) mark ones I especially enjoyed, and the tilde (~) denotes one I haven’t actually seen, thanks to it vanishing off my library holds shelf before I could borrow it.
- * The Secret Message by Mina Javaherbin, illustrated by Bruce Whatley
- * The Legend of the Persian Carpet by Tomie dePaola, illustrated by Claire Ewart
- The Rich Man and the Parrot by Suzan Nadimi, illustrated by Ande Cook
- Mystery Bottle by Kristen Balouch
- The Knight, the Princess, and the Magic Rock by Sara Azizi, illustrated by Alireza Sadeghian
- The Stone by Dianne Hofmeyr, illustrated by Jude Daly
- The Persian Cinderella by Shirley Climo, illustrated by Robert Florczak
- ~ The Earth Shook by Donna Jo Napoli, illustrated by Gabi Swiatkowska
Chat about the books
We’d love to chat about the books with you in the Facebook group – tell us what you & your family think about the titles, or share additional ideas for books (or crafts, or food) that connect to the theme!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting The Deliberate Reader!
Previously on The Deliberate Reader
One year ago: Savor by Shauna Niequist